Open Position: Music Associate/Assistant Director of Music
All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Phoenix, Arizona seeks a full-time Music Associate/ Assistant Director of Music to support our outstanding traditional music program. All Saints’ is a large church with a pre-k through 8th grade day school of 500 students.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional musician with a passion for teaching musicians of all ages, a strong organist, a detail oriented administrator, a kind and caring pastoral presence, an energetic and innovative builder of programs, and a collegial staff member. Grounded in the inclusive, Episcopal faith, our Music Associate will demonstrate deep love for and knowledge of our Anglican musical heritage, while appreciating the best new music being written for the Church.
Our choral program includes 8 staff singers who form the basis for both the Senior Choir of 45 members, and the Chamber Choir of 12 members. Choral Fellows and Choral Scholars are recruited from local high schools and colleges and join us twice each month. The Chorister program of 55-65 students is administered through the day school, and is an RSCM program.
Our choirs sing at 9 and 11am on Sundays, and at monthly choral Evensong, during the program year. Our church music staff includes a full-time Director of Music and a Music Associate who does much of the organ playing, some of the choral conducting, and who directs the Handbell Choir.
The church has outstanding acoustics for choral and organ music, with a glorious, well-maintained tracker organ of 33 stops built by Visser and Associates.
Reports to: the Director of Music (incoming Director--November 2017, Joseph Ripka)
The Music Associate is responsible for assisting the Director of Music in leading, maintaining, and growing our music program, collaborating with the Director of Music, Rector, staff singers, and faculty/staff of the day school to set its vision, directing our choirs, playing the organ as well as the program’s administrative needs.
• Organist for most services
• Accompanist for most choral services
• Vestments & Folder maintenance for choristers
• Assist the DOM in rehearsing choirs as needed and/or conducting sectional rehearsals
• Conduct day school choristers four times weekly (shared with DOM)
• accompany rehearsals as needed
• provide organ music for our worship including hymn accompaniment, choral accompaniment, voluntaries, etc. (Shared at times with DOM)
• Organist for all services: Saturday at 5 p.m., Sunday at 7:30 a.m., 9:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m. (Saturday at 5 and Sunday at 7:30 a.m. shared with DOM)
• Recruit, maintain, and direct the handbell choir weekly.
• Oversee maintenance of bells and equipment and handbell music library
• Assist the DOM in administering a large-scale chorister program
• Create and maintain yearly day school chorister web page
• Calendar and communication for all day school chorister activities
• Copyright manager
• Technology assistance (recordings, rehearsal tapes, video, web marketing CDs)
• House manager for all music events
• Record keeper for finances, attendance, staff payments, service recordings, etc.
• Educator—weekly bulletin/web notes on music
• Pastoral care assistant (for developing relationships)
• Proofreader for bulletins and communications
• Assist in Recruiting, auditioning, and training new choir members and choristers
• Assist in arranging, editing, scores
• Maintaining choir library, seating and rosters
• Preparing and maintaining contracts for staff & guest musicians
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Collegial team player with good people skills
• Effective communicator and teacher, comfortable working with all ages
• Creativity and passion for growing the music ministry
• Education: Bachelors Degree or higher in Organ performance, choral conducting/church music.
• Experience as choir director and/or church organist
• Choral directing experience with all ages
• Organ performance experience
• Experience with Anglican musical tradition and RSCM training strongly preferred
The salary range is $34,000-47,000 based on experience, plus some weddings and funerals at $150 each. Excellent benefits, including health insurance, retirement, and vacation pay.
Send resume or CV, a letter of interest and samples of organ playing to:
(required: put "Music Associate Search" as subject line)
Music Associate Search
All Saints’ Episcopal Church
6300 North Central Ave.
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
We will receive applications through October 7, 2017.
Scroll down the page from the link above to hear samples of our choir.
Explore our website to get a feel for our church community, our love of tradition and liturgy, and our dedication to our music program.
Here are some reasons why All Saints’ is a great place to serve:
It’s gratifying to serve with energetic, supportive, fun colleagues. Our staff of 12 works collaboratively towards our common mission. God is doing great things at and through All Saints’, and it is fulfilling to be part of something meaningful.
Between our church and day school, there is never a dull moment at All Saints’, with lots of activity during the school and program year on our campus and in the community.
We have some of the best traditional liturgy and music in The Episcopal Church. We worship from the Book of Common Prayer an average of 14 times per week, including day school chapels, Evening Prayer, Centering Prayer, Rosary Prayer, monthly choral Evensong, weddings and funerals.
All Saints’ is a diverse congregation: Republicans and Democrats, young families and seniors, gays and lesbians, singles, wealthy and poor, from different backgrounds. We are united in a centrist, non partisan, healthy community of respect that follows Jesus Christ in the Episcopal tradition as we pray, learn, serve and connect with God and each other.
We take our spiritual formation seriously. Our members appreciate learning about the faith. We average 40 children and youth in Sunday school, and about as many adults in our adult classes. We have a solid foundation, but seek to grow in numbers and discipleship.
We are committed to serving those in need in our city and beyond. We have active partnerships with many local agencies, including ICM Food and Clothing Bank, Habitat for Humanity, André House, and JustFaith, PACC-911 Phoenix Animal Care Coalition, St. Mary's Food Bank, Mission of Mercy, and internationally with Saint Paul’s Church and School in Haiti.
We love to have fun and fellowship together and so we have numerous fellowship opportunities every month!
For more information about our day school, click here.
The weather. Phoenix has more than 300 days of sunshine per year. Sure, the summer is hot, but the late fall, winter, and spring are amazing.
Phoenix has all the amenities of a big city: music and the arts, sports teams, outdoor activities, and great cuisine.
The Southwest is a rich and unique landscape and culture.
Phoenix is affordable for a major city. Have we mentioned the sunshine?
Learn more about Phoenix in general:
The Episcopal Diocese of Arizona www.azdiocese.org
Phoenix Convention & Visitor’s Bureau: www.visitphoenix.com
The Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce www.phoenixchamber.com
Arizona Office of Tourism www.azot.gov
The Arizona Republic www.azcentral.com