The year was 1948. Under the guidance of Dean Carmen and Bishop Kinsolving, Trinity Cathedral of Phoenix, Arizona formed a committee to discuss church expansion in Phoenix, as the city showed great promise for growth.The new church would accommodate Cathedral parishioners who lived north of Camelback Road (then on the fringe of the city). Terms for the new church were that Trinity Cathedral would grant complete independence as soon as possible. They would also employ a clergyman, guarantee his salary and would transfer the property to the newly established congregation. Trinity would give $25,000 as soon as the congregation would raise the like amount.
A ranch on north Central Avenue owned by an elderly couple was decided upon for the new church. The ten acres were purchased for $35,000. This was a working date ranch with orange, lemon, grapefruit, pomegranate and olive trees. There was a short dirt road leading into the main house from Central Avenue between two rows of palm trees. These trees still stand on the north side of the church. In addition to the main house there was an old barn and several other buildings. The main house was used for the church service. As promised by Trinity Cathedral, a priest was delegated to officiate at the first service. This service was held on March 4, 1951. There were twenty three adults and nineteen children in attendance. Even the kitchen was used. There was a portable organ that was played by a volunteer. The collection plate was a saucepan borrowed from the kitchen. The first collection netted $38.22.