Position Open: Associate Director of Choristers (full-time)
All Saints’ Episcopal Church and Day School in Central Phoenix is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Choristers. The Associate Director of Choristers is responsible for assisting the Director of Music & Organist (full-time) and Associate Director of Music & Organist (part-time) in conducting, organizing, maintaining, and growing our music program, collaborating with the Directors of Music, Rector, staff singers, and faculty/staff of the day school to set its vision, administering to our choirs, directing and overseeing the handbell choir, playing the organ as needed, and overseeing many aspects of the music program’s administrative needs. We are seeking an energetic, motivated and dedicated person to help continue to expand our music program, which has been growing considerably under the new leadership of our Director of Music, Joseph Ripka.
All Saints’ is a large church with a pre-k through 8thgrade day school of 500 students. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented administrator, a strong musician with a passion for teaching musicians of all ages, a strong organist, a kind and caring pastoral presence, an energetic and innovative builder of programs, and a collegial staff member. Grounded in the inclusive Episcopal faith, our Associate Director of Choristers will demonstrate a good working knowledge of our Anglican musical heritage, while appreciating the best new music being written for the Church.
Our choral program includes 8 professional staff singers who form the basis for both the full-choir of 45 members (The All Saints’ Choir), the Chamber Choir of 16 members and the Schola Cantorum of 8 members and our Compline Chant Scholas. Choral Fellows and Choral Scholars are recruited from local high schools and colleges and join us on a regular basis. Our newest program is an after-school chorister program affiliated with the RSCM which includes over 35 students. We also offer an after school-based community music school call All Saints’ Music School. ASMS offers private instruction on a variety of traditional instruments with over 12 faculty members. The Day School Chorister program of 55-65 students is administered through the day school and is also an RSCM program. Our choirs sing at the 9 and 11am masses on Sundays, at monthly choral Evensong, and Compline during the program year. Our church music staff includes a full-time Director of Music & Organist, and a part-time Associate Director of Music and Organist.
The church has excellent acoustic for choral and organ music and a well-maintained tracker organ of 33 stops and three manuals built by Visser and Associates.
- Conduct and administer the Training choir for the Community Choristers RSCM program.
- Assist the DOM in rehearsing the RSCM choristers. (7 rehearsals per week.)
- Substitute for the DOM or ADOM in rehearsals and services when away.
- Recruit, maintain, and direct the handbell choir seasonally.
- Oversee maintenance of bells and equipment, and handbell music library.
- Staff singer in all choirs.
- Assist the DOM in administering a large-scale chorister program, both Day School and after school, including: recruitment, collection of yearly fees, rehearsal logs, rosters, communication with parents of choristers, maintain attendance and calendar, vestment & folder maintenance, holding auditions, training etc.
- Assist the DOM at all choral rehearsals including choristers and adults as needed.
- Collect payments, coordinate lesson registrations, and scheduling for All Saints’ Music School.
- Maintain music portions of church and school websites (shared with DOM & ADOM).
- Copyright and recordings manager (shared with DOM).
- Record keeper for finances, attendance, staff payroll.
- Proofreader for bulletins and communications (shared).
- Maintain choir library (assisted by volunteers).
- Assist in preparing and maintaining contracts for staff and guest musicians.
- Organist for the 7:30 a.m. liturgy on Sundays.
- Substitute organist on Saturdays & Sundays as needed.
- Substitute organist for funerals and weddings.
At least a bachelor’s degree in Music, preferably choral or organ music.
Experienced choral ensemble singer.
Strong Experience working with youth choirs.
Experience working with choirs of all ages.
Well-organized and task-oriented administration skills.
Computer desktop publishing skills.
Ability to lead hymns from the organ.
Master’s degree in Music, choral or organ.
Strong keyboard skills as an organist.
Experience working with youth in an RSCM style choral program.
Experience with music administration.
Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,000.
Benefits include health insurance, pension, sick-leave, 4 weeks’ vacation, continuing ed fund, 2 weeks’ time away for continuing ed. or recitals.
Reports to: Director of Music.
Applications will be accepted until April 26, 2019 and a decision made by late May 2019. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, C.V. including list of references, and any relevant materials by email to email@example.com. Materials will be reviewed right away through the application deadline.
The weather. Phoenix has more than 300 days of sunshine per year. Sure, the summer is hot, but the late fall, winter, and spring are amazing!
Phoenix has all the amenities of a big city: music and the arts, sports teams, outdoor activities, and great cuisine. Phoenix is the 5thlargest city in the USA.
Phoenix is affordable for a major city. Have we mentioned the sunshine?
Learn more about Phoenix in general:
The Episcopal diocese of Arizona: www.azdiocese.org
Phoenix Convention & Visitor’s Bureau: www.visitphoenix.com
The Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commercer: www.phoenixchamber.com
Arizona Office of Tourism: www.azot.gov
The Arizona Republic: www.azcentral.com